Community Talks! Vol. 1, ep. 17.
One-hit wonders. We either love them or despise them, but one thing is certain—we all have one or two life defining memories connected to them and we can’t help but burst into song or dance when they play. For me this entails dancing a full choreography and singing to Rednex famous and only hit “Cotton eye joe” while having no idea of what the actual lyrics are. The dance, however, I know by heart and I tend to enjoy teaching it to my fellow citizens any chance I get (p.s. I’m available for lessons any time). But of course, there are countless more songs that made their mark in music history. So, in the hopes of brightening up your Friday, I would like to take the opportunity to honor some of the artist who may be forgotten, but their songs live on forever, sparking feelings of joy, annoyance, and above all, memories.
1) Come on Eileen – Dexys Midnight Runners
2) Closing time- Semisonic
3) Teenage dirtbag – Wheatus
4) I’m gonna be (500 miles) - The Proclaimers
5) Torn - Nathalie Imbruglia
6) Take on me – A-ha
7) Save tonight – Eagle-Eye Cherry
8) 99 luftballons - Nena
9) Scotty doesn’t know – Lustra
10) Somebody that I used to know – Gotye
The list of songs is endless. Therefore, I can’t help but to include a few (many) honorable mentions:
- We no speak americano – Yolanda be cool
- A thousand miles – Vanessa Carlton
- What’s up – 4 Non Blondes
- How bizarre - OMC
- Barbara Streisand – Duck Sauce
- Cheerleader - OMI
- Cotton eye joe - Rednex
- Who let the dogs out – Baha men
- MmmBop – Hanson
- Shake it - Metro station
- Mambo no. 5 (a Little Bit of...) – Lou Bega
- The ketchup song (Aserejé) – Las Ketchup
I know I have most certainly forgotten some important contenders so please comment your favorite One-hit Wonder and add it to THE ONE-HIT WONDER playlist so that we can appreciate them all AsONe.
Please sign in to leave a comment.