Community Talks! Vol. 1, ep. 16.
Note: This post is only possible because of the brilliance and wit of Ragnhild Jonasdottir, who deserves all the credit.
Remote work, for all of its benefits during these turbulent years of a global pandemic, has produced some new adages into our daily parlance. Who of us has not opened a teams meeting, hoping for the technology to provide us with clarity and ease of use, just to be met with the now very old and very tiring statement: "You're on mute". Whether or not our collective mindset has fully accepted that these statements are going to be mainstays of daily language, the fact remains that we will forever be attached to them. So to keep it simple and sweet this week, let me present you with 10 tired statements of digital work.
1) "Let me just share my screen for a second"
2) "Can you see my screen?"
3) "You're not sharing your screen"
4) "You're on mute"
5) "I am hearing an echo, can someone make sure they're muted?"
6) "Sorry, the powerpoint is lagging. It was fine a moment ago"
7) "We're just waiting for XXXX to join, so let's hold tight"
8) "Sorry I'm late" (30 seconds after the meeting started)
9) "My camera isn't working, sorry"
10) "Can you repeat that?"
As with any good post in the community talks group, please expand on this list in the comments. I am sure that 10 is just scratching the surface when it comes to overused, often-heard, and sometimes funny statements whilst working digitally.
This is amazing! 😆
Here are some more I can think of:
1. "I'll be there in 5min, my computer decided to update"
2. (Cat/Dog appears in the camera) - *Everyone gets distracted by the cuteness* 😻🐶
3. "This meeting will be recorded" - (Does anyone go back to see the meeting recorded?)
4. "Seems like we lost XXXX, oh! here they/she/he are/is again..."3
Thank you Sterling Figueroa for the credit. But you deserve praise for putting it all together!
I have an addition to nr 4: (inaudibly saying sorry) "Can you hear me now?"
In addition to common phrases used during our teams meeting there are a wide variety of filters. In honor of it being friday please enjoy the biggest filter fail of our century: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGOofzZOyl83
BRILLIANT! Loving this for a Friday afternoon 😁
"We-" "I th-"
"You go ahe-" "You go"
(someone scratches their head) - "Did you have a question?"
(someone raises digital hand) -> (Question was asked and answered) -> (X minutes pass) -> "Did you have a question?", "No sorry, I forgot to take the hand down"3
Please sign in to leave a comment.