join the community conversations

4000+
active members

How many entities can you delete in one go?

Comments

11 comments

Mark Stuart-Walker

I have trouble with this too. I don't think that there is a hard limit just that it may take a variable time depending upon how busy the processors are. If it is too long then it times out.

Generally, I work with less than 500.

Stig Nicklas Hansen

Thanks for the feedback :/ This is really sad, but I guess it's a 1 time cleanup thing we need to do programatically instead..

Mark Stuart-Walker

Yes, in the past I've extended a utility HTML template which can do this.

I think that Partners tend to keep similar utilities to themselves.

Kenneth Ayre

How are you deleting the Entities?  I just deleted >30K Entities from an environment through the Enrich UI and it took about 20-30 minutes to finish... but it did finish.

Mark Stuart-Walker

Really? I've never managed anything near that. In fact, this morning I had the need to do just 412 and I have to do them in blocks of 100. (Yes, using Enrich UI).

As I said earlier I believe that it depends upon the complexity of the entity and the number of listener extensions which increases the processing time per entity.

The UI doesn't help as it just freezes during the deleting and gives no progress feedback.

Kenneth Ayre

Aha, "the number of listener extensions"... that's probably it - I don't have any Extensions installed in this environment.  I queried all Items in the environment I was working in which returned the >30K, then I selected all, then kebab menu, then Delete Selection.  The UI doesn't give any indication that it's actually doing anything, but the Control Center Log shows that it's deleting Entities one by one, with repeated entries like this where Listeners would wake up on the basis of the deletions:  

And to paraphrase Kyle Reese in The Terminator, it can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop... ever, until the Entities are deleted [or it times out].

For a big clean up task, what about disabling the Listeners before triggering the deletions?

Stig Nicklas Hansen

Interesting. We do have server extensions, but I do not believe we have that many compared to others. We are currently at 19 in total.

6 channel listeners
    2 link listeners
    2 entity listeners

and the rest are scheduledExtensions

Steven Christensen

Depending on the entity I've been able to get away with 5000, and then only 500 for another. I belive if you are looking at 100k+ you can open up a request for inRiver support to delete on your behalf as they offered this to me when I ran into the same limitations. not sure if it saves you time or not but if you had over 500k or something it might be worth opening a support ticket. 

Stig Nicklas Hansen

We had 150k blank resource entities that was added by mistake via an excel import, and I did open a request to inRiver to help us, I even provided the entity ID's. But they said they couldn't help. We ended up writing an extension to delete them though, but it took over 60 hours for it to delete everything.

Kenneth Ayre

Stig Nicklas Hansen I see that you have a Server Extension in addition to the Listeners you mentioned above.  A Server Extension will cause a significant delay on every action you take before anything happens to the Entity (like a deletion) - this is likely to add significant latency to every deletion you perform, so I suggest disabling that before performing the deletions.

Stig Nicklas Hansen

Kenneth Ayre Right, we have this serverExtension to validate that there are no loops in channel nodes, for example that they are included in and includes eachother. We also added functionality to make sure we update "Has Images" on variant entities when an image is linked to a variant.

Please sign in to leave a comment.