join the community conversations

4000+
active members

What organizational role/department handles new fields in your organization?

Comments

4 comments

Danny Langlois

Hi Kasper,

What we try to do at Absolunet is to let the customer handles his marketing model, but of course, we trained him on how to do so. We built what we called a model synchronizer where we managed the marketing model from a Google Spreadsheet. The model conception is a collaborative work between Business Consultant at Absolunet and the PIM Champion on the customer side. 

So to answer your questions 1 to 3, at the project beginning, it's us, when the customer is trained and understands the concept of modelization, he takes the lead, and always through the Excel Spreadsheet. Then we review what he wants to change to make sure it makes sense and we finally sync the model on his environments. 

We have some customers that are totally autonomous and they manage their model through the control center. It always depends on customer data management expertise. 

Hope this helps. 

Kimberly Morris

Hello Kasper, 

Here at Intermatic, I am the (marketing) person that inputs all the data into our PIM. When we have new items that need to go into the PIM, I work with the product manager (marketing) to determine if an existing fieldset will work for the new product. If not, we work together to determine the best name for the new fieldset (that will fit a group of products in the future) and walk through existing spec sheets, instruction sheets, or any information we can drum up on the new item and create the fields. We always try to use existing fields when possible but create new when necessary. We prefer to use CVL fields unless it is a numeric or yes/no field. I am the one who does the manual "dirty work" of adding the field to the data model, but if I run into trouble as ask Galina (my right-hand gal from IT).   

Joann Thoms

Hi Kasper,

Here at Ethan Allen with we have bi-weekly meetings to discuss all things related to PIM. The group includes associates working within Merchandising, Web Creative, Digital Merchandising, Advertising Production, Content Management and IT. With each new project or initiative there is always a need/request for a new field. As a team we discuss if it should be a new field or perhaps an enhancement to an existing field (or set of fields) that can happen at channel output. We do our best to use existing fields but when we need to add a new field we try to keep it as generic as possible to maximizes it's usage across all business categories and channels. As a group we decide data type and the entity it should go on. Some fields are easy to decide and some do create a bit of a debate among us. As for the "dirty work". We have a Senior IT developer that adds the field to the model and whoever requested the field is responsible for populating the field - even when it requires enriching over 400,000 entities :)

Kasper Madsen

Thank you so much for the feedback so far! We'd love to hear from more of you guys, so feel free to keep adding to the list! :)

Please sign in to leave a comment.