join the community conversations

4000+
active members

iRIS

Comments

11 comments

Stefan Holm Olsen

Hi Ken

The first thing sounds like you need administrator rights to install the service. Running the command as administrator might help.

For the second issue. Can you verify that the webapp can in fact connect to the iRIS service? To run the webapp, and log in, I had to change a port number in the endpoint address in the app.config file of the webapp. The port number was 5000 and I changed it to 8081 (as found in the app.config file in the service project).

Hope it helps you.

Morten Holst Jensen

Hi,

I am trying to get started with iRIS, but apart from being able to download the raw source code from GitHub, I can't seem to find any documentation on how it is supposed to work, how to set it up or anything like that.

Is there really no documentation available?

Stefan Holm Olsen

Hi Morten

I did not find any technical documentation either. I had to just dive into the code and set it up.

iRIS, as a concept, is like a proxy that you can host internally (behind a firewall). It consists of two things: inRiver.Integration (a Windows service) and iRIS (an ASP.Net Core website with a WebAPI).

The site with the WebAPI is supposed to be accessible from the iPMC cloud (HTTP or HTTPS), as it will receive messages from the cloud and pass it to the inRiver.Integration service, which then invokes the outbound connectors that you deploy to it. This site is also where you log in (using your personal iPMC account) to configure the local inbound and outbound connectors.

The source code also contains a project called InRiver.Extensions.IRIS. This is a class library implementing listener interfaces for the iPMC cloud. These will invoke the beforementioned WebAPI to push messages through the firewall. So, build and upload it to the iPMC. Then configure an extension per listener class. When working, you should see messages in the log file of the iRIS.Integration service whenever you change entities in the iPMC.

That was a short architectural overview.

Morten Holst Jensen

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for the overview. I'm very surprised that inRiver has not released a single piece of doc that explains how iRIS is supposed to work and how to get started. I will ask them, if something is on its way, because without, I'm afraid we can't use it in our projects.

And that would be sad, because we need the option to offer hotfolder-like interfaces to PIM, but with just source code provided, it looks like iRIS is not really ready to meet the world yet...

Will be back, when I hear from inRiver...

Morten Holst Jensen

UPDATE: I was made aware that there is a (small) wiki tab on the iRIS GitHub page. Maybe you guys saw this already, but I only saw it now and will be trying my way from that. There is not a lot on the wiki, but at least some bullets on which steps you should follow to setup iRIS.

Ken Hakata

A question 

Which IP adress does inRiver push the messages from?

Good to know if opening upp server.

Tobias Månsson (ICP)

inRiver uses the entire range of Azures IP-adressen, so there can be no IP-opening. 

We had the same issue but got the following reply from Johan Lindberg, Lead Architect Cloud on inRiver. 

"We do not support static IP-addresses in our service and it's not on our roadmap to do so.

If you want to build a "secure" solution, you should not use white listing of IP, since IP addresses can be spoofed. 

Publish your endpoint (https://server:port) on internet and activate login and TLS 1.2, and you'll follow the business stand for secure communcation"

Thomas Pettersen (ICP)

You can also find Azures IP-ranges here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=41653

Kimberly Morris

Hello all, I have a question. It was my understanding that when we went from "on Prem" to "the Cloud" we were to use the iRIS server basically just to do the initial transfer and then set up our own connectors. We are currently using the iRIS server as a permanent solution to hold the PDF generator that our partner set up. Is this best practice, or will the iRIS server go extinct at some point? 

Martin Steffensen

Hi Kimberly, there is no End-Of-Life set for the iRIS solution at this time. But it will undoubtedly come at some point since it was meant as a intermediate solution when migrating.
    So it is our recommendation to rebuild your solution to remove the need for it. 

Kimberly Morris

Thank you so much Martin! Have a great day!

Please sign in to leave a comment.