sections in the article
This article explains how to avoid getting the error message An unexpected error occurred in inriver Contribute and how to fix the problem if the message is shown.
With all the different configurations that are possible in inriver Contribute, you sometimes make mistakes that trigger the An unexpected error occurred message. Below is an explanation of what might have caused an error.
Including a channel but not channel content
In inriver Contribute, you can include channels so that users can see which channels an entity is part of.
However, if you choose to not include any of the channel fieldTypes in inriver Contribute, you'll get an Unexpected error message, as shown in the screenshot below.
This happens because you have set inriver Contribute to show which channels an entity is part of, while at the same time restricting the channel content from being visible. This is shown in the screenshot below.
Including FieldTypes in inriver Contribute
The solution to this issue is to include at least the ChannelName fieldType in inriver Contribute, as explained below.
To include a FieldType in inriver Contribute
- In the Web Portal > inriver Contribute (backend), select your inriver Contribute environment from the dropdown.
- Go to Settings and filter > Include & Show and edit field types and check one or more boxes in the Field types dropdown, as indicated below.
- Go to inriver Contribute (frontend) and click the Overview tab. No error message is shown, as indicated below.
If you don't want the inriver Contribute users to be able to edit your channel, you can include the fieldTypes as read-only in your inriver Contribute configuration. This will make the channel content visible while the users are restricted from changing anything on the channel itself.
To make FieldTypes read-only in inriver Contribute
- Go to the Web Portal > inriver Contribute (backend) > Settings and filter.
- Enter the channel fieldTypes you want to include under Include & Show and edit field types' as well as under Read-only field types, as indicated below.